Monday, November 11, 2013

Alice Munro, on writing / Alice Munro, sobre la escritura


Any story that’s going to be any good is usually going to change. Right now I’m starting a story cold. I’ve been working on it every morning, and it’s pretty slick. I don’t really like it, but I think maybe, at some point, I’ll be into it. Usually, I have a lot of acquaintance with the story before I start writing it. When I didn’t have regular time to give to writing, stories would just be working in my head for so long that when I started to write I was deep into them. Now, I do that work by filling notebooks.

I have stacks of notebooks that contain this terribly clumsy writing, which is just getting anything down. I often wonder, when I look at these first drafts, if there was any point in doing this at all. I’m the opposite of a writer with a quick gift, you know, someone who gets it piped in. I don’t grasp it very readily at all, the “it” being whatever I’m trying to do. I often get on the wrong track and have to haul myself back.

I could be writing away one day and think I’ve done very well; I’ve done more pages than I usually do. Then I get up the next morning and realize I don’t want to work on it anymore. When I have a terrible reluctance to go near it, when I would have to push myself to continue, I generally know that something is badly wrong. Often, in about three quarters of what I do, I reach a point somewhere, fairly early on, when I think I’m going to abandon this story. I get myself through a day or two of bad depression, grouching around. And I think of something else I can write. It’s sort of like a love affair: you’re getting out of all the disappointment and misery by going out with some new man you don’t really like at all, but you haven’t noticed that yet. Then, I will suddenly come up with something about the story that I abandoned; I will see how to do it. But that only seems to happen after I’ve said, No, this isn’t going to work, forget it.

From an interview with Jeanne McCulloch and Mona Simpson. You can read the full interview here.


Para que un cuento sea bueno, habitualmente tiene que cambiar. Ahora estoy empezando un cuento de cero. Escribo todas las mañanas, y está bastante logrado. No me gusta mucho, pero creo que quizá en algún momento me entusiasme. En general conozco bien los cuentos antes de escribirlos. Cuando no tenía tiempo para escribir con regularidad, trabajaba los cuentos en la cabeza durante tanto tiempo, que cuando empezaba a escribirlos estaba bien metida en ellos. Ahora hago ese mismo trabajo llenando cuadernos.

Tengo pilas de cuadernos llenos de una escritura terriblemente torpe, porque de lo que se trata es de anotarlo todo. Cuando leo esos primeros borradores, muchas veces me pregunto si tenía algún sentido hacerlo. Soy lo opuesto de una escritora de talento rápido, sabés, alguien para quien el texto fluye. A mí me cuesta mucho aprehenderlo, y con "lo" quiero decir lo que sea que esté tratando de hacer. A menudo me meto en el camino equivocado y tengo que llevarme de vuelta a la rastra.

A veces puedo escribir sin parar, y me parece que lo estoy haciendo muy bien: escribí más páginas de lo habitual. Y entonces me despierto al día siguiente y me doy cuenta de que no quiero seguir trabajando en eso. Cuando siento una gran resistencia a acercarme al texto, cuando tengo que empujarme para seguir escribiendo, por lo general me doy cuenta de que algo está muy mal. A menudo, en más o menos tres cuartos de lo que hago, llego a un punto, bastante al comienzo, en el que pienso que voy a abandonar el cuento. Logro superar uno o dos días de gran depresión, durante los cuales me la paso refunfuñando. Y pienso en otra cosa que pueda escribir. Es un poco como un romance: para salir de la desilusión y la desdicha, salís con un hombre nuevo que no te gusta para nada, pero todavía no te diste cuenta. Luego, de repente, se me ocurre algo sobre el cuento que abandoné y veo cómo escribirlo. Pero eso parece suceder solamente después de haber dicho: "Esto no va a funcionar, olvidate".   

De una entrevista realizada por Jeanne McCulloch y Mona Simpson. Pueden leer la entrevista completa aquí.

No comments:

Post a Comment