Monday, October 6, 2014

A poem by Javier Cevallos Perugachi (Ecuador, 1976), my translation / Un poema de JCP


Ophelia

On my absence I pin vengeance.

As I surrender to the current
there is weeping in hallways and archways.

My tongue, gagged in water lilies,
and my mouth, sealed by silt,
leave a trace on the shores.

I am the rejected body,
the vanishing loved form,
the name that will not be named.

It is my tears that increase the flow –
more is lost through misfortune than through death.

I decide that I have loved

I take upon myself
the madness of the traveler –
I know the port
but know not the itinerary.

Vengeance retreats into the hand.

The wild horse
and foaming lichen.

The gesture transcends the silt.
Under the swamp, the pleasure of excess,
the raving efflux of putrefaction.

I blur into the screams,
I erase the traces left behind,
I sink into the mire.

Complicit

The gaze becomes necessary,
soaking the dress.

I am here because I so wished;
my face, my breasts will be beautiful
provided the rocks do not hit them.

Eyes feast upon my fading skin,
every maimed afternoon,
every undone limb,
stone by stone,
oblivion and absence,
dream of abandonment.

Who abandons whom?
I, soaking in vengeance,
one with the riverbed?
You, whose prison is yearning
and your sentence, oblivion?

The banks drink my abandonment.

I drag the secrets of the ivy,
the whisper of the resonant flint,
the water that will conquer the rock
and the marks on the preoccupied tree.

Behind me, agony rises,
the lonely one knows he's more alone.


Vengeance has been fulfilled.

It has taken shape
in split silence
and painful conjecture.

Suspicion settles:
sex rears up, passionate.

On the lips, lies,
rift and fear.
I inhabit the built
longed-for hell,
the edge of moan and skin.

My body is crowned with thorns –
delusion of steel,
desire surrounded by indifference.
I lock up my pain,
subdue it like new cattle;
I only
let it
gaze at the shores

remote
unreachable.
Under my tongue I keep the embers
that once lit words on fire.

When I am one with the silence
I will go back home.


From C, Látigo

Drawn from http://laseleccionesafectivasecuador.blogspot.com/2009/02/javier-cevallos-perugachi-menciona.html
You can find more poems by JCP in Spanish here.



Ofelia

En mi ausencia cifro la venganza.

Mientras me abandono a la corriente
se llora en los pasillos y arcadas.

Mi lengua, amordazada en nenúfares
y mi boca, sellada por el lodo,
van dejando un rastro en las orillas.

Soy el cuerpo que ha sido desechado,
la forma amada que se desvanece,
el nombre que no será nombrado.

Es mi llanto el que acrecienta el caudal:
se pierde más en el infortunio que en la muerte.

Decido que he amado

Asumo para mí
la locura del viajero:
conozco el puerto
mas ignoro el itinerario.

La venganza se repliega en la mano.

El caballo bravío
y el liquen espumante.

El gesto excede al limo.
Bajo el pantano, el placer del exceso,
el efluvio delirante de la putrefacción.

Me confundo con los gritos,
borro las huellas que dejé atrás,
me sumerjo en el lodazal.

Cómplice

La mirada se hace necesaria
empapando el vestido.

Estoy aquí porque así lo quise;
mi rostro, mis pechos serán bellos
en tanto las rocas no los golpeen.

Los ojos se deleitan en mi piel moribunda,
cada tarde mutilada,
cada miembro desatado,
piedra a piedra,
olvido y ausencia,
sueño del abandono.

¿Quién abandona al otro?
¿Yo, empapada de venganza,
una con el lecho del río?
¿Tú, cuya prisión es nostalgia
y tu condena, el olvido?

El cauce bebe mi abandono.

Arrastro los secretos de la hiedra,
el susurro del pedernal sonoro,
el agua que conquistará la piedra
y las marcas en el árbol absorto.

Tras de mí, la agonía aumenta,
el solitario se sabe más solo.

La venganza ha sido consumada.

Ha tomado forma
en silencio escindido
y conjetura dolorosa.

Se establece la sospecha:
el sexo se encabrita apasionado.

En los labios, la mentira,
la división y el miedo.
Habito el infierno construido,
anhelado,
el borde del gemido y la piel.

Llevo el cuerpo coronado de espinas:
delirio de acero,
deseo cercado por la indiferencia.
Encierro al dolor,
lo doblego como a ganado nuevo,
permito
 tan solo
que contemple las orillas
  
lejanas

inalcanzables.
Bajo la lengua guardo el rescoldo,
aquello que, alguna vez, incendió las palabras.

Cuando sea una con el silencio,
iré de regreso al hogar.

De C, Látigo
Tomado de http://laseleccionesafectivasecuador.blogspot.com/2009/02/javier-cevallos-perugachi-menciona.html
Pueden encontrar más poemas de JCP aquí.



No comments:

Post a Comment